Saturday, July 2, 2011

In Defense of Childishness


"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." C.S. Lewis, On Three Ways of Writing for Children.
We spend our childhood wanting and striving to become adults; we spend our adults lives trying to become more adult and responsible.  It is a shame really.  Children are incredible.  The Bible is explicit that are faith is to be like that of a little child.  But what does that mean?  What does a childlike faith look like?

Children are:

1.  More trusting:  Children have to learn not to trust.  As we age, we become steadily less willing to trust.  Which makes it harder to trust God; to always trust that He has our best interests in mind and good plans for us.  We have suffered too many disappointments, we cannot simply allow ourselves to trust that deeply anymore.  "Lord, I want to trust You like a child."

2.  More forgiving:  We mess up with children all the time, yet, have you noticed how quick they are to forgive us?  They do not have any of that built up resentment.  As soon as I say I am sorry, I am forgiven in their eyes.  "Lord, I want to be quick to forgive like a child."

3. Full of wonder:  Everything is new to a child; the smallest things are amazing.  We become too jaded; we take too much for granted.  There is nothing new or exciting.  Too often we have "lost our first love."  "Lord, fill me with the wonder of who You are."

I need to be more like a child, more trusting, more forgiving, and full of wonder.  I am going to stop striving and actually try and walk backwards.  Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. G.K. Chesterton is the stellar role model here. He used to have a "discipline" of playing with paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete